Chellchatthigern & kyllcharrine
Nobody knows how old the church/site really is.
According to the book written by Daniel M. O’Brien,
“Beara, a journey through history” gives the stone head
carved head an important clue.
It is seen in churches in
Italy and Austria and regarded as pre-Christian and
possible connected with snake worship. In the graveyard
is an 8th- or 9th- century old cross which was published in
the National Library.
From the monastic Map of Ireland the site would appear
to have been a nunnery rather than a monastery. In the
Decerials Letter of Pope Innocent 111 (1198-1216) the
parishes west of Bantry ( Kilmocomogue) are given as
Cellechdach, (Killough Or Killeacac), Cellmana, (Allihies
or Kilmanagh, Cellchattigern (Kilcatherine) and
There is an undated Mandate from Pope Eugenius 1V
(1431-14470) to the Arch deacon of Ross, to collate and
assign to Allan O’hualloccayn, clerk of the diocese of Ross,
to be promoted to all, even Holy Orders, and to hold a
benefice even with cure and having been tonsured, to
receive and hold a canonry and the pretend of Kyllmana
The book” Beara, a journey through history” can be bought at
local shops and Tourist office in Castletownbere.